Friday, December 15, 2017

3)Audrey Gragert "When We Grow Up"



These two paintings are called "When We Grow Up" and were made as a response to the question, "What do the holidays mean to you?"

The first image that came to mind was a group of carolers singing in the snow. Surely that was what Christmas meant to me, I thought, but then an image of one of my family traditions rose before my eyes, only to be replaced by the thought of swirling snow. Image upon image rose before me until I was left with a confused  impression of a sparkling lights, snowflakes, holly, presents and family all against the background of the manger scene.

Yet, when I put the image to paper, I realized that wasn't what Christmas means to me. Perhaps the singing, snow and lights once meant Christmas to me, but not anymore. I don't live in a place that has snow, diets have banished traditional treats, moves and death have removed relations from the holidays and presents do not mean what they once did. All the things that once meant Christmas to me have gone. Only the Lord's birth remains. I and my family are pale, brief shadows against the light of his coming. There is comfort that despite the fading of family traditions and absence of loved ones, the reason for the celebration remains and will remain. Praise the Lord!

Audrey Gragert

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audrey Gragert is a Studio Art graduate of CSU Chico (California) and one of the most joyful people I have ever met.  She is currently a homemaker and mother stationed in Guam!  Check out her portfolio at Deviantarthttp://10time.deviantart.com/gallery 

2 comments:

  1. These are beautiful; thank you for sharing your thoughts on how His birth trumps all traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your explanation of the second piece, Audrey. As though the true meaning of Christmas shines through your family. Merry Christmas to you all! Thank you for sharing your art with us and for the glory it gives to God!

    ReplyDelete